Thursday, September 20, 2012

My first ever library display

When I started as the school librarian I had no experience what so ever in running a library. After the first year of getting my feet wet I decided it was time to start sprucing the library up. This was the first display I designed and made.
The idea was to promote reading in general and to fill in a large blank pinup board.

The blue fringe with fish was added later as part of an origami display I made.

Display Elements
Cascading books
Open paperbacks
Open and closed picture books
How to
Cascading books
This is an idea I got from the Paperazzi exhibition in Albany. It is made by cutting the pages of the book so they look like the are falling out. With two of the books I added coloured pages for some interest. To hand them up I feed some wire along the spine added some beads and other items.
Open books
For this I visited the secondhand shops and bought a range of paperbacks and picture books(make sure they are ones you don't want to use later). I wanted to have them stay open when i pinned them up so I stuck toothpicks inside along the spine. By doing this the pages can't close so when pinned open on the wall they fan open.
Happy reading
From the Library Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment